Who to notify when you are moving

We understand that when you are in the middle of all the craziness of moving it’s easy to forget who to notify that you are moving. You need to know exactly who to notify when moving so you can inform all the relevant people and institutions of your upcoming move and subsequent change of address. This way you can make sure you don'y miss out on any important information being delivered to you, but don't panic we are here to help!!! We here at The Guru of Moving have put together a full list of who to notify when your are moving.

Who to notify when you are moving

In order to save yourself a lot of time, effort and stress we recommend that you check out Updater. It's a free website that (surprise!) updates all your accounts and records for you.

You could also check out I am moving. This site will take care of letting over 1,500 organizations know where you’re heading for free.

If you are more old school and would rather notify everyone yourself we strongly recommend starting with changing your address with the post office. Simply visit USPS Change of Address. The reason we recommend starting here is because it will redirect any mail that gets sent to your old address for up to a year plus as you get the letters to your new place so you can double check to make sure you have notified each sender of your new address.

If Updater or I am moving wasn't for you we have also made a comprehensive list of everyone you should notify about your change of address:

  • The Dmv

  • The IRS

  • Your Doctor

  • Utility Companies

  • Home or renters insurance

  • Your Employer

  • Your Lawyer

  • Cell Phone Provider

  • Your landlord

  • Health insurance provider

  • Car insurance provider

  • Banks

  • Credit card companies

  • Your children's school

Don't forget to change your address with these government agencies

  • State Election Offices – Contact your state election office to change your address on your voter registration record.

  • Internal Revenue Service (IRS) – We mentioned them above but thought they deserved another mention as failing to change your address with them could result in fees or even missing out on your refund. You can also change your address with the IRS by writing your new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return when you file.

  • Social Security Administration (SSA) – Change your address online using your my Social Security account if you receive Social Security retirement, survivors, or disability benefits or are enrolled in Medicare. If you don't receive Social Security benefits or Medicare, contact the SSA.

  • DMV – Contact your DMV to change your address on your driver's license or motor vehicle registration.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square